User Registration

or Cancel
Time: 7:53
Student Permit Renewals

Foreign students may renew their study permits. They can apply as early as 90 days before, but no later than 90 days after the permit expiry date. They also must have observed all the conditions of that permit and not be in breach of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. It will a pleasure to us as to offer you our assistance in your steps. Your initial consultation is free and our consultants will help you to choose a college or university to follow in your case

What is a study permit?

A study permit is a written authorization issued by an officer allowing foreign nationals to study in Canada.

Important information: A study permit becomes invalid 90 days after your study program has been completed. Your program is considered complete when you receive a notification of program completion from your school.

Do I need a study permit?

Generally, foreign nationals must obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada.

However, foreign nationals may be exempted from requiring a study permit in the following situations: 

  • Short-term courses of six months or less;
  • Family members or private staff accompanying a foreign representative accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada;
  • Members of the armed forces of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act.

Important information: If your program of study is six months or less but you intend to continue your studies in another program, you should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. This allows you to apply to extend your stay as a student from within Canada. Otherwise, you will have to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada. 

How do I apply for a study permit?

Before applying for a study permit at a Canadian visa office, you must first get a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

Once you have your acceptance letter, you can complete and submit an application for a study permit.

How do I find out if the school I want to attend is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

For post-secondary level, you must consult the Designated Learning Institution List. If your school is not on the DLI List, you are not eligible to apply for a study permit.

All primary and secondary institutions in Canada are automatically designated and do not appear on the DLI List.

Are there activities for which a study permit is not required?

Yes, there are activities that do not require a study permit. Generally, a study permit is not required for: 

  • attending preschool; 
  • completing a distance learning program; 
  • following audit courses (where a student is permitted to attend an academic course without obtaining credits); 
  • taking courses included in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourists; 
  • taking a course which is not academic, professional or vocational in nature that is of general interest and can be completed within the period authorized upon entry to Canada; 
  • taking a course or a program of study which is six months or less that can be completed within the period authorized upon entry into Canada.

What requirements must I meet to get a study permit?

In addition to providing an acceptance letter from a DLI, you must demonstrate to the officer that you: 

  • meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, including leaving Canada at the end of your studies.
  • have enough money for the duration of your stay in Canada to pay for:
    • tuition fees,
    • living expenses for yourself and accompanying family members, and
    • transportation costs to and from Canada for yourself and accompanying family members.
  • are law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate); 
  • will not be a risk to the security of Canada; 
  • are in good health ( a medical examination may be requested ). 
  • will produce additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility;
Last modified on Wednesday, 15 July 2015 17:05
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Read 16198 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

About Us

Ms. Nooshin Djavanshir Haidari is a good standing member of the Immigration consultants of Canada regularity console, (ICCRC) R409895 , ICCRC